Friday, April 4, 2008

Friday Quilts

I didn't forget!! I've been working off and on this week on those One-Block Wonder hexagons. As it turned out, each of the 6 strips yielded 18 triangle sets for a total of 108 hexagons. Ugh. I really do NOT like doing projects with big numbers like that - it just makes it seem like a daunting process. Who wants to think of piecing together 300 triangle sets or 540 4 patch units?! Really, it's enough to make me, at least, not even want to start!! Here's my little secret - I break it down into how many I can piece together in 10 minutes or 20 minutes. Then I don't feel like I have to sit and sew for 5 hours straight, after all, this is my hobby, not a job! I have pieced together the hexagons of 3 of the 6 strips. I'm halfway through! Well, of this part at least. There are the two large stacks waiting, and parts of the third set spread out next to my sewing machine.

Now that I have so many already pieced, I am able to divide them up into groups. There is a predominantly yellow group, a red one, a bluish-purple one, and the rest are mostly black which makes them the background "filler". You have to have the background hexagons to ground the others, it gives the eyes a place to rest. Each one of these hexagons is almost like a mini work of art.

I ended up with about 2-3 inches of fabric at the end of the strips after cutting out as many triangles as was possible. If there was any color to that section at all, I cut small triangles out. I pieced these together and they will be part of a quilted wall-hanging for my parents (I tend to work on more than one thing at a time). 'Tis a special request with a specific place already waiting for it in their new home - right above the fireplace. It will be an appliqued bouquet of flowers of some sort, fanciful and colorful. These few mini-hexagons will be some of the flowers, I think.

Here is a close up of one of the "flowers". Isn't it neat?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. Daddy said "a work of art". We can hardly wait!

TLR said...

That is going to be stunning